Friday, 7 March 2008

Can you dig it?







Two artists I'm really digging at the moment are Maija Loukari & Sanna Annukka.
I find Maija's work overwhelmingly fantastic, everything about it appeals to me! I love her use of colour, the naive nature of the textures & shapes... But mostly I love the lo-fi, almost random nature of her compositions, some seem at first (for lack of a better word) budget. But each line & colour block is perfectly executed & positioned. Her drawings are kind of like Kate Moss, effortlessly stylish. (I don't really think Kate Moss is all that, but I would still like to be so imperfectly cool.)

If you're not already impressed, get this- Maija is a designer for Marimekko, & she's only 25! I'm simultaneously jealous & inspired.

Sanna's work I love for it's clean lines & fantastic colour palettes. I admire it because I know I could never create it! I find colours one of the hardest parts of designing. Oh & she uses birds a lot in her pieces. Did I mention I like birds? I like birds.
What do these artists have in common? They are both Finnish!
I want to go to Finland!

xxx

(Images-
Maija Loukari, Sanna Annukka, Sanna Annukka, Sanna Annukka, Maija Loukari, Maija Loukari.)

No comments: